Collection: Part 1

Research

King's Cross Station

IFO (IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT)

IFO (IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT)

The giant “birdcage” in Battle Bridge Place is Jacques Rival’s artwork IFO (Identified Flying Object). The huge white installation stands 9m high, and the bars are wide enough for people to walk through and enjoy the swing that hangs at its centre. By night, the artwork really comes alive in a brilliant array of neon colours, lighting up Battle Bridge Place.

Whilst the IFO is mostly ‘earthbound’, on special occasions the eye-catching structure is hoisted up into the air to hang freely and light up the night sky.

About the artwork

IFO is created by French artist and architect Jaques Rival. By day, IFO acts as a framing device for the daily theater of the street. While at night it becomes a luminous spectrum, re-emitting the energy it has accumulated during the day.

IFO first appeared at King’s Cross in 2011, as part of RELAY, the first art programme at King’s Cross. 

Serpentine Pavilion 2015 designed by Selgascano

V&A Elytra Filament Pavilion(2016)

Untitled (multicoloured shapes), 1949 by Robert Klippel

Too Much Night, Again, installation view, South London Gallery, 2013 by Pae White

FA Collections Experiment - Flat Surface

FA Collections - Experiment with Sweets

A gross Five Days, 1998 by Marc Quinn

May September, 1991 (Bread Hands) by Marc Quinn

Image

Image

Image

Image

3DDA Build It Final Drawing

Linear Construction, 1961 & Line With Black Box, 1961 by Kenneth Martin

3DDA Build It Prototype

Michal Strach, Jewerly Objects

3DDA Wear It "Support" Experiment

Fules01, 2013 by Reka Lorincz

Fank1, 2013 by Reka Lorincz

Graduate Collection 19 by Noa Raviv

RUG UMBILLY IV, Panamarenko

RUG UMBILLY IV, Panamarenko

This another example from Panamarenko's aeroplanes. Panamarenko attached the motors on some of his aeroplanes to be able to actually fly. I think motor is one good objects that can be used to accelerate something. The movement of the air also occurs when the aeroplanes move with the motors.

Aaron Durand's Long Exposure Photography, San Francisco, CA

Long Exposure

With my process, acceleration, I wanted to look up some long-exposure photos because these photos easily capture the movement and its speed and even acceleration. The curves of light on this photo were created by the train passing by. It remained an interesting range of colour and form. Also, the fact that the train itself did not appear on the photo was interesting, too.

This is not the right example of using acceleration as process but it helps me to understand the method of representing the acceleration on the work.

Air 1

Air 2

Text box

"Air cannot support us". We can not touch the air and it is the material that I can'y easily change its shape or form. Using air as the material seemed impossible to me at first so I started looking at the definition of the air and some general use of it.

Air is everywhere and it is free to move. I thought about some of the objects that shows the movement of air or can capture the air inside. For example, the balloons and the bubbles are holding the air inside them and the objects like pinwheel spins using the movement of the air.

The word "Air" often when people talk about the atmosphere and it also used a lot when we talk about traveling or airplanes. I thought it was an interesting way to approach to the term "air" but I found out that these do not have strong relationship if I am going to use air as the material, but still, keeping these in my mind will help me afterwards. 

Fulcrum, Liverpool Station

Public Art next to King's Place

Orbit Tower (1)

Orbit Tower (2)

Robert Klippel, Opus 363, 198

Untitled, 1978 by Robert Klippel

Eureka Tower Carpark Wayfinding, 2006 by Axel Peemoeller

FA Collections Experiment

FA Collections Prototype

Bowl of Pearls, 2006 by Ai Weiwei

Straight, 2008-2012 by Ai Weiwei

Ghost Gu Coming Down the Mountain, 2005 by Ai Weiwei & Serge Spitzer

Colored Vases, 2007 by Ai Weiwei

Image

Image

Image

Image

Pavillon 21, Munich Opera, 2009 by Coop Himmelb(l)ua

Musée des Confluences in France, 2015 by Coop Himmelb(l)au

3DDA Wear It "Support" Experiment

Graduate Collection 4 by Noa Raviv

Sun and Son (1995), Tom Shannon

Tom Shannon - Pendulums

Tom Shannon is an artist who uses Pendulum to create his paintings. Tom Shannon's paintings have random proportion and rough texture but they keep the regular patterns formed by the move of pendulum. As pendulum moves, it repeats accelerating and decelerating because of the gravity and depends on its speed, it is possible to create the textures with different thickness or roughness.

Through Tom Shannon's works I could bring out some ideas using the wind (movement of air) as the drawing method. I think this idea suits on both air(material) and acceleration(process).

MIU MIU

Photograph from Miu Miu

This photo shows one way of representing the air clearly. I could realise that when the air is in water or other liquid, it is easy to show its figure. I was keep thinking about using air to create the designs for three dimensional results but through this photograph, I now think using the photographs or videos can be interesting way as well.

Panamarenko Aeromodeller 1969-71

Panamarenko Aeromodeller 1969-71

As I researched on the left side, air sometimes means traveling because of people's willing to fly in the sky in past. Most of Panamarenko's works are based on the aeroplanes and they represent the freedom and they also relate to the story of Icarus.

Out of the huge number of aeroplanes that Panamarenko created, this Aeromodeller above stuck to my mind because the huge and oval-shaped clear form made with transparent material creates the large sense of space and it is clear that the air is filling the space inside.

I think the materials Panamarenko used to produce this work are effective when they go with the material, air. Considering the use of these materials should be useful if I design something three dimensional later.

Shinto Temple from Japan

1 comment